Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Nexus 7 wifi internet connection issue solved

Nexus 7 wifi internet connection issue

The solution to the Nexus 7 internet connection problem is fast and simple » You may skip to the bottom for the  instant fix » If you're interested in my experience, read on, but the answer to your problem is below »

When I first saw a little ad poking out on Google's home page, a little shiny object sticking out of what appeared as a pocket; I clicked and could see the Nexus 7 was a powerful tool for a person who uses an Android based OS phone, Google Navigation, Gmail and Google documents. The first time I saw the ad, I knew nothing about Google+ and Google Play.  They are now an additional integral part of Google's overall platform for your social online life and business.

I decided to surprise my wife with a Nexus 7.  I had set up a gmail account for her long ago but she rarely accessed it.  The day I brought home the tablet, she told me about a friend showing her a Kindle, a competitive tablet.  My wife was finally open and interested in internet connectivity.

Turning on her Nexus 7 and adding her Google account was easy and worked flawlessly. The 7" tablet is the perfect size device for gmail, managing other online email, watching youtube, reading books, listening to music, reading magazines, accessing facebook or whatever social media you subscribe to. She is most interested in Pinterest.  The internet connection was fast, even on wifi with older slower routers.

My wife recognized the value and realized how much I liked "her" tablet and bought me one for my birthday.  We can now video chat or "hangout" as it's labeled in Google+.  They both were fast on the internet and exceeded my expectations.

Overnight, the internet connection at my home which was initially fast on the tablet,  changed to intermittently on/off and when it was connected the signal was too weak for a YouTube video to play.  My first assumption was the problem was my own hardware or router software.  I upgraded my router firmware and rebooted everything. I searched Android forums for tips to fix my internet connection.  I researched router settings. As I read the comments I saw that some people had returned their Nexus 7 to Google because of internet connection issues. I thought, "I like this thing,  I just want it to work like when it was new. What changed?"  I found Google recently upgraded Jellybean to 4.2.1.

I tested my Nexus 7 in my office at Select Homes, Inc. where it has fantastic possibilities to register people who come in to look at homes, look at their land on Google Maps, show them videos of homes on other locations and much more.  No connection unless I stood in the same room as the router.

For lunch I went to a public hotspot to test my tablet,  Bistro42, a great restaurant close to my home and office where there is a secure wifi to test the Nexus 7.  I could see the internet available and my Nexus 7 attempted connection, then I would see "obtaining IP address."  I was never able to connect yet my laptop easily connects at Bistro Forty-Two.

I concluded Jellybean 4.2.1 upgrade caused the issue, Google would soon discover and fix it.  I watched for an upgrade only to see "unable to connect to the Internet" repeatedly.

Just imagine you're ready to press Buy Now » on Jimmy Buffett tickets or the NBA Play Off Tickets or Fleetwood Mac "On With The Show" tickets and you see lost Internet connection. Then it comes back just long enough to see that there are two tickets left and you scramble to tap and buy only to lose Internet connection again. Your device reconnects again to see "sorry tickets are sold out for this event."  What if you were renting the last Katy Perry suite available for your boss?  This on the latest state of the art internet device by GOOGLE.  I knew if this tablet was to be used for anything important, it must have a consistent internet connection at many different locations.

I clicked Settings to see if I could recognize any setting different than when I first turned my tablet on. I found a little check box next to NFC in the WIRELESS & NETWORKS settings. You must click More... to see the selection.  I didn't know what NFC is and "Googled" it (on my laptop) to find it was for "touch device to transfer".  I didn't need that so I turned it off.  As Emeril says, "Bam!"  It connected instantly, stayed on and works better than ever.

Solution to fix Nexus 7 internet connection issue

The solution to fix the Nexus 7 internet connection issue is ridiculously simple:
Turn off NFC.  It is checked "on" by default.

With the Jellybean 4.2.1 update, NFC is turned on by default.  De-selecting it instantly fixed my internet connection problem.  Yesterday I couldn't connect in my office 20 feet from my router.  This morning I connected to my office router 50 yds. out in the parking lot and was able to view youtube, "Hangout" with my wife and search Google.

32 comments:

  1. OMG... Thanks alot!!!! Searched for an solution on may websites but finally (never thought that), I've found the right answer on your blog :).

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just received the nexus 7 32 gig tablet and when I turned it on it went to the wifi connection screen. When I go through the router login process I assume it connects because eventually the "select wi-fi" screen shows the router i.d. and "saved, secured with WPS" under it. However, it doesn't go any further than that. I tap on the screen for that router and tap "connect" and nothing happens. Help!

      Delete
  2. Didn't work. Tried everything on forums. Connects to every router except the Netgear at my relatives, where I am at for next 2 weeks. All other devices, PC laptop, iphone, kindle fire, ipad and ipod connect w/o any issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I changed my router setting from auto channel to #10 and my nexus now has steady wireless signal.
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous wrote on Dec 24:

    I just received the nexus 7 32 gig tablet and when I turned it on it went to the wifi connection screen. When I go through the router login process I assume it connects because eventually the "select wi-fi" screen shows the router i.d. and "saved, secured with WPS" under it. However, it doesn't go any further than that. I tap on the screen for that router and tap "connect" and nothing happens. Help!

    That is exactly the same situation I found last night when I opened the box and tried to start up my new Nexus 7 - I never made it past the 'select wifi" sreen to the home screen.

    After one hour on a live chat with techs @ Comcast I gave up and put it back in the box ready to return. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried everything, no luck. That was until I uninstalled Juice Defender. Ever since then, I have had a strong and steady signal without a single drop! My assumption is that there is some odd incompatibility issue with 4.2 !!!! I am willing to bet that most people with this issue are running Juice Defender! Uninstall it and Wa-La!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had major problems with my n7 WiFi reception. Tried all the stuff on here. I even rooted it and flashed it back to the original factory ROM in came with removing the update that other forums blamed for the loss of reception. Nothing made any difference.
    Then I found on yet another forum that if the back cover is even slightly loose this can cause the problem as the WiFi antenna is on the rear casing. I removed the nexus from its case and found a slightly larger gap in one corner so I pressed it back in firmly and voila WiFi functioning perfectly!
    The back comes off really easily apparently. I don't remember dropping it or anything but the kids do use it so who knows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg!! Thank you!! Been searching for months for as fix after my WiFi started dropping to nothing if I wasn't sitting ON my router. I looked the second I read this and sure enough, the instant I popped the back corner on securely, I went from one bar to five!! My kids aren't supposed to touch my nexus as it doesn't have a griffin case like the IPad, but it looks like they've been sneaking it.
      I can't tell you how thrilled I am, I use it to work while sitting in the backyard watching the kids and it had completely stopped connecting right at the backdoor! Working from my IPhone is a pita. Ty!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I check time and date, NFC turn off, but you help me a lot. On phone, laptop i have WI-FI in all rooms of the house, but on NEXUS 7 not. Now i have WI-FI on NEX7 too.
      Thanks like brother!!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! That was my Nexus problem too!

      Delete
    4. My tablet took a fall and I couldn't figure out what's wrong with it until I read your comment! Thanks!

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much!!! My WiFi coverage issues seemed to coincide with me re-rooting my device after a recent update, but it turns out it was just something as simple as one of the edges popping out a bit... Pushed it back into place and voila! 1-2 bar misery turned back into the 4 bar coverage I'm used to..

      Delete
    6. Thanks!!! Had a nexus 7 WiFi issue and after reading this I checked the backing and found a small gap. I clicked it back in tightly and the WiFi immediately jumped to 3 bars. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK YOU, my Nexus 7's wifi signal all of a sudden became ridiculously weak when it used to be very strong at home. I checked the back cover and found a noticeable gap on one corner, I pressed it in and my signal instantly went to max signal strength. Seems like this may be a design defect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark u are the man the issue is with the back cover...there are antennas it seems on the back cover...snap it right into place it worked like magic...tried static ip address and uninstalled apps...etc.... and it was that simple just a snap on the back...go figure I'm a tech should of known to check then physical but didn't remember dropping tablet because I have a case...cover seems to get loose easily some how

    ReplyDelete
  11. My router had Mac filtering so once I sorted that I could connect.

    My issues is that it shows connected but does let data through or wifi bars are gray but Internet is fine

    ReplyDelete
  12. My router had Mac filtering so once I sorted that I could connect.

    My issues is that it shows connected but does let data through or wifi bars are gray but Internet is fine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Set my Router to a Static IP and that fixed it! Also did what he said so it could be the combination of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love you!!! That fixed my connectivity problem!!! I KNEW someone had figured it out without soddering something (which was one person's fix) or permanently damaging my tablet. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're awesome, thanks SO much. I was getting pissed. :( (And my dad was looking smug with his expensive iPad.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great... Really thks a lot.. It works.... So simple...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good job. Never ever seen the topic put in this excellent way.
    maintain the awesome blogging.

    Also visit my web blog ... network security measures (hulasystems.com)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My HTC One with FoxFi/PDANet and 4.2 Android connected just fine thru BT to my Nexus 7 with PDANet Tablet and 4.2 Android installed. However when I tried to check my GMail there appeared a NOT Connected message. This fix got it all working. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! My daughter's tablet has been off the WiFi for days... I tried all sorts of things, until this one little NFC setting and instant WiFi access!! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi everyone,i have nexus 7,bought it 1 month ago and since yesterday suddenly has stopped accessing to my router.i tried everything i found on the web but nothing seems to worked.
    before 20 minutes i changed my ssid and channel and password and magically like that it's ok again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mark - You are a savior! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for this post. My Nexus 7 2012 was showing connectivity issues after Android 4.4 KitKat update.
    This fixed it !!!!!
    Thanks much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete